Saturday, January 29, 2011

Response 2: The 5 Paragraph Essay and the Art of Writing

I suppose I should start this week’s reflection on my feelings toward the 5 paragraph essay, as many of the readings were discussing this format. In reflecting on my past experiences with the format, I am amazed that other people had not even heard about this type of essay. My entire junior high and high school experience were dedicated to writing this way. We were given precise formats. The first paragraph started with an attention getter (a quote or personal memory), then 2-3 explanatory sentences that connect the AGD to the thesis. Following the thesis was the plan of coherence or the POC where the three parts of the essay were mentioned. There was then a paragraph for each section of the essay and a final conclusion paragraph that was basically just the introductory paragraph in reverse. It always ended with a revisit of the same quote or personal memory. I learned this format so well, that writing an essay always felt like literally just filling in a template. When I took my writing test in 10th grade, it took me no more than 10 minutes, as I did not even have to think when I was writing. I knew exactly what I was doing.
Now, my first instinct was to say that this was an absolutely ridiculous, ineffective, and anti-creative/critical thinking approach to essay writing. I remember the first literature class I took in English. I was completely taken aback on my first paper grade when I had followed these guidelines. It took me a long time how to figure out how to move beyond this format. Yet, eventually, I did learn. It only took me a few sessions with my TA to learn how to write an essay for that class. Which gets me to thinking, did my essay writing in class impede or help my ability to write and collect my ideas into coherent thoughts and argumentations? While I always thought that it hindered my ability, I am beginning to realize that I did learn invaluable skills through the organization of the 5 paragraph essay. I learned how to structure arguments and how to add clarity and precision in my words. I learned the basic components of an essay in an easy-to-follow format. For that reason, I think the precise structure of the 5 paragraph essay is needed, at least when writers are first starting. It gives writers something to fall back on that is not too daunting for them as they are learning new ideas. Once that format is perfected, it is time to open up the box of possibilities and branch out to different types of writing.
I have a few other notes for the week, most of the them being from the Romano book. In this book, I liked the discussion that it had about the importance of free writing. I already commented on this a bit, but I want to reemphasize my newly realized value of free writing in class. In life, we always seem to be writing for a purpose. We are either writing for a transaction or to be creative. However, we never write for ourselves. Writing is really a way to organize and gather thoughts. We can learn so much about ourselves and our beliefs when we take the time to write them down on paper. In our heads, ideas swarm around without meeting any true cognition. However, when we take the time to put them on paper, we become more aware of what we are actually thinking, as we take the time to really bring them to fruition. I want my students to take the time to write for the sake of writing. You never know what ideas may develop.
Finally, I also wanted to briefly note what Romano said about giving student poetry that they can enjoy and that makes them believe that they can actually write a piece of poetry themselves. I thought this was a simple but thought-provoking statement. When students are only reading canonical pieces with poems that they have to analyze and dissect in order to understand, poetry can become rather daunting and perhaps boring. I think that it is important to provide poetry that they can instantly connect with that makes them believe that they too can create a piece of poetry.  A work of art can be simple at the same time that it is beautiful, and I want to make sure that my students understand that. Too often we think something has to be difficult to understand to be good. Too often we lose sight of the purpose of art. We forget the aesthetic appeal that comes from personal response and connection.


For my resource for the week, I've included a site that looks at different tips for how to teach poetry. I think that this is one of the most daunting things for both teachers and students. This site includes fun activities to make poetry a bit more accessible, such as creating a poetry tree or cutting out words from magazines and forming them into poems.

10 Tips for Teaching Poetry

1 comment:

  1. Jennifer,

    I could not agree with you more on your five paragraph essay comments. Learning the form is clearly getting students ahead on standardized tests, college entry essays, ACTs, and more, so why should we take it away? It looks like you agree that it shouldn't be the only essay format we teach, though. I think the solution is simple: address the issues of longer, multi-paragraph essays when the students are juniors and seniors so they aren't crippled in college.

    I have to disagree with you on your poetry comments, but only for personal reasons. I absolutely hate reading teenage poetry. It is full of angst and cliches. It bores me, makes me cry with laughter, and makes me squirm. I know that sounds insensitive, but most teenage creative writing is difficult to stomach. Hopefully you have a different reaction.

    Best,

    Jack

    ReplyDelete